The town is situated close to the well-known spa resort Mariánské Lázně and nearby another spa called Konstantinovy Lázně. For nature lovers, the local ceuntryside offers a variety of beautiful spots and tourist attractions to visit. Among those of interest, Český les (the Bohemian Forest), until recently closed to the public, is appreciated for its splendid, almost virgin nature. The Slavkovský les wildlife resort, with its peat-bogs, mineral springs, meadows and forests, is also nearby. Nice walks may be taken at the Kosí potok stream, which is dominated by the Vlčí hora rock with the Volfštejn castle ruins. The nearby border crossing at Broumov makes visits very convenient to the Bavarian part of Germany. As the Planá area is also rich in ponds and forests, fishermen, nature lovers and berry pickers will all find their favourites here.
The towns of most noteworthy interest in the region include Mariánské Lázně, Tachov, Stříbro, Konstantinovy Lázně, Cheb, Karlovy Vary, Bečov nad Teplou and Domažlice. The ruins of once important places such as the castles Gutštejn, Krasíkov, Přimda and Volfštejn, and the church ruin of St. John near Kočov are all near Planá. other places, for example Kynžvart Castle, Kladruby Cathedral and the Teplá Monastery have been renovated and reopened to the public.
Planá has approximately 5.200 inhabitants.
After many years of stagnation, the town now has been renovated for several years. Repairs and upgrading can be seen on buildings both public, church and private. The most significant renovations may be noticed predominantly on the town square, where many upgraded houses form an imposing picture and are used not only for living but also for a wide array of stores and services. Other public and private houses are being restored in other parts of Planá. Financed form the town budget, the roads are repaired and built anew, and additional public areas and „green“ spots are constructed.
The town´s residents as well as its visitors can enjoy good sporting facilities – a natural swimming pool, tennis courts, horse riding and flying.
Recently, the town of Planá has become a „Mecca“ for pictorial art lovers. Besides a private gallery, another town gallery may be found in the church tower. Some top artists have presented their work here. The town gallery is open from March through September in a beautiful church tower. A modern art collection is under development form artists´ gifts and will be housed at St. Peter and Paul church. A movie theater also may be found in the town, and tohether with other cultural events, Planá offers a nice variety of leisure time activities for all ages.
The Mining museum
The Ondřej Šlik gallery, where the museum can be found, was tunneled at the end of the 16th century. That time was the most prosperous era of silver mining in Planá and its surrounding. The prosperity and importance of the town of that time was underlined by a mint founded by the Šlik clan, the owners of Planá estates was tunneled manually from the southern side of a hill on which the historic center of the town was built. The gallery was made to explore a possible existence of silver ores that were at that time successfully mined on the Bohuš hill. The total length of the gallery is almost 200 meters and the precise handwork of the miners can be well seen om many places. The entire labytinth of the gallery is now open for public and hosts an exhibition of the history of ore mining, a craft that has now been practically dissolved in Bohemia. Numerous well selected exhibits give the subterranean area a flavor of authenticity. The museum opens daily (except for Monday) from May to September and on weekends in April and October. Moreover, individual tours cna be arranged at the phone number 00420 374 792 177. The tour takes about one hour. As the temperature in the gallery is constantly around 8 degree Celsius, the guides recommend warm clothes.
The saint Peter and Paul church
It is the oldest known architectonic sight of the town, which dates back to the turn od¨f the Roman and Gothic styles and is referred to in the thirteen century records. Till the 14th century it was a parish and later and filial church of the original Plania settlement that spread along an important road. After the settlement became part of the town called Staré město (Old Town), the church was in sevice till the 18th century. During the Thirty-Year-War it was badly damanged by a fire and in 1787, under the rule of Joseph II, it was abolished. After the abolishment the church was used as a storage till the early nineties and was renovated recently for cultural events. The St. Peter and Paul church is a nationally recognized sight with the unique 13th century frescos and a rare Roman portal with an arc frieze.
The large castle complex with a Gothic style fortress in its center spreads on a headland to the west from the town. The castle is believed to be from the 13th century but the first written documents that mention it date 1395. The first known owner, Dobrohošť was mentioned in the 14th century. During the years the castle wass owned by several noblemen and was gradually renovated and enlarged. In the mid fifteen,hundreds, during the rule of the Šlik clan, ir was upgraded in the Renaissance style and the out/buildings such as a barn with double gable were built. During the Thirty-Year-War the castle was several times devastated. In 1634, Albrecht of Valdštejn spent here his last night before he was killed in Cheb. After 1665, it became a part of Sinyendorfs estate and was rebuilt in the Baroque style. During the rule of Nostitzs from 1822, the castle was partly rebuilt in the Empire style. In the years 1948/1991, it was used as a base of the border patrol. The English style park with a pond that surrounds the castle and which used to be part of a natural protection is open to the public.
The Church of Virgin Mary Assumption
It was originally a th ree-nave church built in the Gothic style in the south part of the historic town. The main portal from the late Roman time in the middle of the 13th century was completed with a cross vault in the 14thcentury.
The church was rebuilt in the Baroque style in the sixties and the eighties of the 18th century by the Planá estate owners. During that time it was the local painter W. T. S. Schmidt.
In the southern nave and around the pulpit are built-in tomb stones of the former owners of Planá such as Margaret of Žeberk who was a sister of the Czech king George of Poděbrady. The northern nave is dominated by a Baroque altar with Madonna picture. A family tomb on the outer eastern side of the presbytery reminds J. F. Löw of Ersfeld who was born in Planá and was a court physician of the Caesar Leopold. The adjacent Baroque parish house dates back to the year 1708. South of the church, in the Na Příkopech street, there is a remnant of the original town fortification.
The town hall and other histor. houses
The town hall was originally a one story building built in the early Baroque style in 1680-1685, and rebuilt in the late Baroque style in the eighties of the last century when the original building was raised by another story and ornate with frescos by J. F. Rauch. The statues of Virgin Mary, St. Peter and St. Anne (representing the consecration of Planá churches) in the gable are from the original town hall. Most of the houses interiors on the town square and partly the houses interiors on the Petrské and Zámecké suburbs are the late Gothic and Renaissance stales. While the exteriors, many times rebuilt after fires, are Baroque. The No. 56, located in the south eastern corner of the square has a partly preserved Renaissance interior and a beautiful Baroque gable. The house No. 35, called ‘U bílé růže’ (White Rose) used to be a hotel and its ceiling is painted with Renaissance ornaments. The uniform outlook of the town square was vitiated by demolition (at the turn of the last century and after the World War II.) and the following new construction.
The Saint Anne Pilgrimage church
The originally Gothic church was referred to in 1515, with regards to a fire. Built again in 1645, it was entrusted to the frafemity of St. Anne by Jindřich Šlik. In 1721, the church was completely destroyed by a fire but as early as in 1726, it was rebuilt in the Baroque style by an unknown architect under the patronage of the Sinzendorfs. Some of the ornaments are ascribed to Brandl, Škréta and to Italian painters. From the Joseph II time it was changed into a castle chapel of the Plana noblemen, and at the beginning of this century a Nostitz tomb was added at western front. A remnant of a small pavilion built over a former “miraculous” radioactive spring can be seen at the northern side of the church. The spring ceased to exist as a result of the nearby uranium mining after the Second World War. A partly renovated Redemptorist monastery building from 1923, lies to the south of the church. To the east from the church, in direction of Plana, there is an old linden alley with remnants of the old pilgrimage road.
The Saint John Column and Public Fountains
The Baroque sandstone statues by unknown author, perhaps close to J. Brokof, were erected in the circular balustrade in the town square center in 1712. The sculptural group represents St. John of Nepomuk, the national patron on the top, St. Barbara, the patroness of miners, St. Florian, the patron of firemen and St. Sebastian, the protector from plague. The dates under the statues show the years of their renovations. Two granite public fountains from the last century are at each the square and the Petrské and Zámecké suburbs. These fountains highlight the Planá conservation area.